July 21, 2010

Braunschweiger

What great food is best described as the food of the Gods?

There are many really great eats out there that are epic, or shall I say "Legend- Dary" including: Pizza, Beer (not a food, but if consumed enough, can become major source of vitamins), Sushi, Peanut Butter, and Hot dogs. But of all those great eats, there is one item that always wins my heart over:

BRAUNSCHWEIGER
BRAUNSCHWEIGER
BRAUNSCHWEIGER

Anywho, Braunshweiger is a liverwurst with pork liver, pork, and bacon. It tastes great on just about anything as long as it hasn't been heated. What is also great about this meat that derives from the Gods' Bosoms is that it is a rare meat that few people are aware of. On an extremely rare occasion, you may come across it at a sandwich joint.

My father first introduced me to Braunschweiger when I was a child; going on nice hikes in the countryside and enjoy a thin slice paired with some crackers. When I eventually got around to college, I rediscovered my passion for this meat fulfilled with JOY and dead unicorns. With its relatively low price and its great peering with peanut butter I started making masterpiece meals. This leads me to my top five list for....

TOP FIVE BRAUNSCHWEIGER MEALS OF ALL TIME

5. Braunschweiger Sushi roll: I have never made it nor tried it, but I can still dream

4. PB & B: Peanut butter and braunschweiger sandwiched between toasted bread, preferably rye bread. Simple cheap and easy. Pico Pica optional

3. Classic on crackers: cut quarter sized slices place them on some RITZ (Must be RITZ). Maybe add some cheese and paired with a bottle of wine.

2. Horsepower Wrap: A tortilla wrap with Braunschweiger of course, bacon, avocado, swiss cheese, peanut butter, smothered in Pico Pico. I just created this tonight, and I was so proud of it that I had to share.

1. The Triple-BLT: This is by far one of the greatest things I have ever created. Sure the Horsepower Wrap has a lot going for it, but that is its flaw; too much competing flavors. The Triple-BLT has Braunschweiger, Bacon, and Bologna toped with thinly sliced lettuce and juicy tomatoes drizzled with olive oil, salt, and pepper. I hope I go down in fame for this one.