September 14, 2009

The Seattle Life



Well I am living in Seattle Washington! Exciting it is. Besides the fact that I need money to do just about anything (I must be living in a city), the lifestyle here is great. I am currently living in a decent studio located in Lower Queen Anne. Within a three block radius of where I live there are five Thai restaurants, six bars (real ones, not like the so called "bars" of Utah), five cafés, two Indian Restaurants, two Pizzerias, a Real movie theater which in comparison to Westates Theaters (a monopoly in Utah that typically leans towards an LDS audiences i.e. movies that are non-independent and are G-rated), and three grocery stores that have a vast varieties of products (but are a little pricier from what I am used to).

I just got a job with REI at their flagship store which is just about three times the size of any other REI store in the US. For right now I am only a seasonal sales person for winter sports, but I hope to become a full-time employee and possibly go even further up the corporate cooperative ladder.

For those of you that do not know what REI is, Recreation Equipment, Inc. is a cooperative retailer based in Seattle that sells outdoor recreational equipment (hunting rifles, soccer balls, and snowmobiles are NOT outdoor recreational equipment). The way the co-op works is by becoming a lifetime REI member for only $20, one becomes a lifetime "shareholder" of REI and receives dividends depending on how much you spend at REI and its annual profit. REI has been on Fortune's 100 Best Companies to Work For for twelve years in a row (ranked 12th this year). I get great benefits and incentives, and there is a lot of potential for progress.

I also have an interview with Pyramid Brewery today.

Once I start making a self-sustaining income I will hopefully do the following:
1. Get a membership at a local climbing gym
2. Finally purchase a brewing kit to brew some delicious beer by the holidays
3. Join The Mountaineers and partake in their outdoor activities including Sailing!
4. Get my Avalanche certification as well as Wilderness Responder certification
5. Summit Mt. Rainier by the fall of next year

No comments: